RETROBAT Official Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Selectable Display

Go down

Selectable Display Empty Selectable Display

Post by polyneux 20/04/21, 04:01 am

Hello!

First of all finding your program has been immensely helpful in kicking off this emulation project I've wanted to get going for a long time. I had already previously screwed around with RA and other Standalone emulators and this wrapping it all up in one neat little package is great!

My current setup is (2) 4k monitors and (1) 1080p TV. The TV being bigger is what I would like to play on.

When I had a cable issue I was only using 1 monitor and the TV, I would use Win+P to go to "Second Monitor Only" and then start RBAT and that would work just fine.

Now that my cable issue is resolved and I have three monitors in the works (functionally 2, only the TV when I want to watch something or couch game, it's on a switch to go between the two PCs on my desk, anyway) that trick doesn't work as well.

So I did some research into how I can get ES and RA-etc to start on the monitor I want it to. RA is simple enough, I can even just use Win+Shift+Arrow to kick to the right monitor after starting, but that doesn't work on ES and is not clean.

I eventually stumbled upon a --monitor option that indexes monitors starting from 0. Between that and --resolution to account for the resolution difference between "my main display" (ie possibly the default reported resolution) and the TV I can get where I want to be.

Unfortunately this only works as a shortcut to emulationstation.exe in the ES folder in Rbat, bypassing the RBAT exe.

So my final target is something like D:\RetroBat\emulationstation\emulationstation.exe --monitor 1 --resolution 1920 1080

Everything else then follows from there without having to change any settings.

My question I guess is there any way to rope command line functions for ES into RBAT.exe's starting? My inclination is not to bypass RBAT.exe as that might cause something else to break on down the line.

Thanks in advance
polyneux
polyneux

Back to top Go down

Selectable Display Empty Re: Selectable Display

Post by polyneux 22/04/21, 01:54 am

Update on me tooling around with this.

Using the trick I mention above I'm able to get ES to launch on the target monitor (in this case Index 1). For some reason, even though I've configured Retroarch to Index to that monitor, It defaults to index 0 (auto).

I installed a clean retrobat install to test this just in case. If I change the Video > Output > Monitor Index value, and save, both in my first version and in the brand new version, the choice doesn't save.

What DOES work is if I save a core override. Which is fine for me now to just have to make that change the first time I run on a particular core.

What's interesting is that while when I config Retroarch from the Retrobat system it defaults to 0 (auto) on that monitor index, on all of my games it says "2" with no (auto). Since I have 3 monitors "2" should technically be my other 4k monitor, yet it doesn't show up there. I can change it to 1 or 0 and it works, and then BACK to 2 and it will show on 2. Interesting.

So to sum up;

I want to control what monitor RB and associates runs on;
1. Creating a shortcut with --monitor option allows me to put ES on the target monitor
2. Since for some reason I can't get the global RA config to save (Monitor Index 2) My temporary workaround is to do a Core Override save after making that setting.

Not sure if there's some magic sauce I'm missing. Smile
polyneux
polyneux

Back to top Go down