RETROBAT Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RETROBAT / EMULATION STATION overriding RetroArch controller settings...

2 posters

Go down

RETROBAT / EMULATION STATION overriding RetroArch controller settings...  Empty RETROBAT / EMULATION STATION overriding RetroArch controller settings...

Post by RandomLettersAndNumbers 10/06/22, 02:31 pm

Thank you so much for this excellent application. I absolutely love it, but need a bit of help with controller configuration.

I use this bit of code to keep the order of by USB Gamepads in Windows 10; https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder

This code works great on my PC, all apps and games work well with it....except Retrobat. For example, the installation of Retroarch on my PC works brilliantly with it keeping the order of gamepads specified, but not the installation of Retroarch included with Retrobat.

When I use Retrobat/EmulationStation - the settings in this seem to override DEVREORDER. For example, in DEVREORDER - I have my PS4 pad as P1, my 8Bitdo pad as P2 etc etc. But Retrobat always puts the 8bitDo pad as P1.

What settings or files can I alter in the Retobat/Emulation station installation, so it behaves like the rest of my PC? ie apps look for the order specified in DEVREORDER.

Thank you!
RandomLettersAndNumbers
RandomLettersAndNumbers

Back to top Go down

RETROBAT / EMULATION STATION overriding RetroArch controller settings...  Empty Re: RETROBAT / EMULATION STATION overriding RetroArch controller settings...

Post by RandomLettersAndNumbers 13/06/22, 10:13 am

So, this is DEFINTELY an issue with Retrobat.

The DevReorder script works perfectly to fix the problem Windows has with controller order. The JoyIDs app also works for those interested.

But despite these two pieces of code working for everything else (including Retroarch), they don't work with Retrobat. Retrobat definitely totally ignores the instructions in these files.

At first I thought it was because Retrobat was installed on an external drive, but I did another install on an internal drive - same result. Is it because Retrobat is a portable style installation? I don't know. I think its something to do with EmulationStation but I have also booted up Retrobat's Retroarch install (form the emulators folder) and it doesn't work with that either. So obviously some settings are changed somewhere...but what?

Any help or guidance appreciated. Thanks.
RandomLettersAndNumbers
RandomLettersAndNumbers

Back to top Go down

RETROBAT / EMULATION STATION overriding RetroArch controller settings...  Empty Re: RETROBAT / EMULATION STATION overriding RetroArch controller settings...

Post by RandomLettersAndNumbers 13/06/22, 08:24 pm

So, I was curious what differs between my installation of Retroarch, and the installation included with Retrobat;

In the Retroarch.cfg

These two lines;

input_autodetect_enable = "false"
input_joypad_driver = "sdl2"

If you change these two line to "true" and "xinput" then Retroarch (installed by Retrobat) works perfectly, respecting the Windows controller order as listed in DEVREORDER.

However, when you load up Retrobat or Emulationstation, the Retroarch.cfg is always reverted back to "false and sdl2". How can I prevent this? I have altered controller config to "no" in the emulation station menu, but nothing. If I change Retroarch.cfg to read only, Retroarch fails to load through Retrobat.
RandomLettersAndNumbers
RandomLettersAndNumbers

Back to top Go down

Post by getupor 13/06/22, 08:53 pm

Hello

You should read the different others topic in this forum.
BTW, changing retroarch setting isn't the way of doing (as all settings driven by Retrobat will be override when systems start)
So you have to do this change in Retrobat directly
You can also try to update SDL2 drivers https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.22-win32-x64.zip
Then, move the SDL2.dll inside in \RetroBat\emulationstation\ to replace the existing one.

RETROBAT / EMULATION STATION overriding RetroArch controller settings...  Modo
getupor
getupor

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomLettersAndNumbers 14/06/22, 09:55 am

getupor wrote:Hello

You should read the different others topic in this forum.
BTW, changing retroarch setting isn't the way of doing (as all settings driven by Retrobat will be override when systems start)
So you have to do this change in Retrobat directly
You can also try to update SDL2 drivers https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.22-win32-x64.zip
Then, move the SDL2.dll inside in \RetroBat\emulationstation\ to replace the existing one.

Thank you for the advice.

I have searched the forum and see many people with the same problem. But no solutions. I see the general answer seems to be 'this is a Windows problem, not a Retrobat problem'. Yes, this is correct...but scripts like DEVREORDER or JOYID totally fix this issues within in Windows. They work perfectly with the vast majority of applications and games (everything I've tried them with) but they do not work with Retrobat. It's amazing to me that even when controllers are hidden using these scripts, and even Windows can't see the controller...Retrobat still uses the controller.

Noted on Retroarch, thank you. Is there a similar config file for Retrobat so I can alter what I have altered in Retroarch?

I updated the SDL2.dll drivers but it stops Retobat from booting - I get an error. "The application was unable to start correctly (0x000007b)."

I feel like I am close to solving as the Windows controller order issue is resolved, we just need Retrobat to respect that. I hope a solution can be found as Retrobat is easily the best front end for retro games. I absolutely love it.
RandomLettersAndNumbers
RandomLettersAndNumbers

Back to top Go down

Post by getupor 14/06/22, 10:18 am

RETROBAT / EMULATION STATION overriding RetroArch controller settings...  Modo
getupor
getupor

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomLettersAndNumbers 14/06/22, 11:02 am

getupor wrote:Sorry, my mistake
https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.22-win32-x86.zip
For change, you can do directly on Retrobat menu.
https://retrobat.forumgaming.fr/t135-faq-retrobat-wip#1486

Thank you, this is helpful information.

I did the SDL2 change but this does not seem to have made a difference.

Following the instructions, I turned off auto config in Retrobat and then configured controllers in Retroarch from the Retrobat menu.

So, this obviously worked, controllers specified as P1, P2 - remained as P1, P2. Great....but.....

...The problem of course is that when you remove the controller for P1, then P2 stays at P2 - it does not then move to P1 as would normally happen in Windows/Retroarch. This causes issue on devices like the Steamdeck (using Windows) where you can't physically remove or turn off on board controls (hence one of the reasons why a specified order is better as you would always put the on board Steam Deck controls as the lowest priority). It can also cause issues if you use controllers for specific systems ie. you use USB SNES pads for SNES, Gamecube pads for Gamecube etc etc.

So ideally, we want Retroarch and other emulators to behave like they do in Windows, and other games/apps. I would have thought once auto config was turned off in Retobat, then this is what would result. I am obviously still missing 'something' - a setting or a config, so if you or anyone else can help it would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.
RandomLettersAndNumbers
RandomLettersAndNumbers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down