RETROBAT Official Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs

3 posters

Go down

[RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs Empty [RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs

Post by maxpax 04/01/23, 10:55 pm

I installed RetroBat 5.0.0 Beta a while ago and I've been loving it so far. But there has been one issue that I haven't been able to figure out. I installed RetroBat on a portable SSD from my laptop and it doesn't wanna work on my desktop PC for some reason. The weird thing is that it seems to work just fine on me and my friends laptops, just not on my personal desktop for some reason. Whenever I try to start RetroBat on my desktop, it shows me the intro movie and then I'm greeted with a message saying:

"It looks like your systems configuration file has not been set up or is invalid. You'll need to do this by hand unfortunately.
Visit emulationstation.org for more information."

I have installed all the correct Visual C++ Redistributables and Direct X. I've put the same drive letter for the SSD on both PCs. I really have to idea what I'm suppose to do.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by maxpax on 08/01/23, 03:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxpax
maxpax

Back to top Go down

[RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs Empty Re: [RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs

Post by tartifless 05/01/23, 08:26 am

This message means that the es_systems.cfg file located in retrobat\emulationstation\.emulationstation is not found or is corrupted...

Could be a problem of antivirus, user authorization, or anything else windows related.

[RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs Modo
tartifless
tartifless
Admin

maxpax likes this post

Back to top Go down

[RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs Empty Re: [RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs

Post by maxpax 07/01/23, 06:54 pm

Thanks for your response! I've tried turning off Windows defender and running it in Administrator, but the same thing keeps happening.

But thanks for the heads up, now I at least know it has to do with the es_systems.cfg file. I'll look around and see if anyone else had a similar issue.
maxpax
maxpax

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzolamas 07/01/23, 07:21 pm

Is not necessary to run Retrobat as administrator.
It's even not recommended...

Use de v5.0 final.
Lorenzolamas
Lorenzolamas
Admin

maxpax likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by maxpax 08/01/23, 12:40 pm

Thanks for the response!

I completely removed all v5.0.0 Beta files from my SSD and did a fresh install of v5.0 Stable from my desktop this time, but the exact same issue still happens.
maxpax
maxpax

Back to top Go down

Post by tartifless 08/01/23, 12:45 pm

Can you show us your windows environment variables ?
(Use google to find out where to find this)

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/machine-learning/oml4r/1.5.1/oread/creating-and-modifying-environment-variables-on-windows.html#GUID-DD6F9982-60D5-48F6-8270-A27EC53807D0

Tell us if by any chance you have the HOME variable...
tartifless
tartifless
Admin

Lorenzolamas and maxpax like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by maxpax 08/01/23, 01:50 pm

Oh, that might me it! I do have a Home variable on my desktop, but not on my laptop. Apparently it was automatically set when I installed a program named PSPICE-TI.

[RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs Enviro10
maxpax
maxpax

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzolamas 08/01/23, 03:10 pm

maxpax wrote:Oh, that might me it! I do have a Home variable on my desktop, but not on my laptop. Apparently it was automatically set when I installed a program named PSPICE-TI.

[RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs Enviro10

Yes is probably the cause of your issue.
Lorenzolamas
Lorenzolamas
Admin

maxpax likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tartifless 08/01/23, 03:35 pm

Retrobat will not work correctly, with this variable set.
And we will not remove this check as it is used on non-windows systems and for debug reasons...

Does your other software actually need this variable?

[RESOLVED] Portable mode doesn't seem to work on some PCs Modo
tartifless
tartifless
Admin

maxpax likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by maxpax 08/01/23, 03:40 pm

Thank you so much guys!

I don't use the PSPICE related programs anymore, so I just deleted the Home Variable. And now it works perfectly fine! Very Happy
maxpax
maxpax

Lorenzolamas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down