RETROBAT Official Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Request: Read display order from xml file?

2 posters

Go down

Request: Read display order from xml file? Empty Request: Read display order from xml file?

Post by Destruk 23/02/24, 05:38 am

After looking at the available frontend choices and systems, Retrobat appears to be the best. Thanks for your work on it.
In View Options, Sort Games By, could there be an option added please for "Specify Order?" perhaps reading an xml file we could set up for it? And the same could be done to lay out the tree, or systems display order in the list?
Another idea would be to add support for something like what Roku does - where you can press a key with an item highlighted and move it around and press the key again to drop it where you want it to go? An xml is probably easier to code/create/lock changes to.
Destruk
Destruk

Back to top Go down

Request: Read display order from xml file? Empty Re: Request: Read display order from xml file?

Post by getupor 24/02/24, 12:02 pm

Hello, and thanks for your interest.

Have you got a scenario in your daily-use to help us understand your need ? How many games are you sorting ?

Maybe using the xml order isn't intuitive enough, because it's force to a manual sorting before, in a xml listing which is not easy.
That's why there is some other possibility, as
- using folders
- using favorite
- using collection
What do you think about it ?

Request: Read display order from xml file? Modo
getupor
getupor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Request: Read display order from xml file? Empty Re: Request: Read display order from xml file?

Post by Destruk 24/02/24, 03:22 pm

You are right - I could go through and rename my games/icons for individual cases - so they will show up in a slightly different order. Or I could go through and manually change release years so they show up in a different order. I was hoping for a more intuitive/easier way to say, in the Favorites list, to have "Command and Conquer Red Alert 2" show up first in the list even though I might be playing "Command and Conquer 4" the most online. By Renaming Red Alert 2 to "A Command & Conquer Red Alert 2" it'll show up first in the list of RTS games in a collection.
If there was a way to simply create a collection and have it sorted based on order added to the collection, that would work too. Would that be possible?
Destruk
Destruk

Back to top Go down

Post by Destruk 24/02/24, 03:34 pm

I like a lot of RTS games, and more will be added in the future - but the affected games here are the ones in the C&C series -
Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer Red Alert (Allies)
Command & Conquer Red Alert (Soviets)
Command & Conquer 2: Tiberian Sun
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge
Command & Conquer Generals
Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
Command & Conquer 3
Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
Command & Conquer 4

If I want Command & Conquer 4 to be next to Red Alert 2 then I have to go through and edit other fields to fix the placement, and if I want Red Alert 2 to show up first in the entire list display then I also need to do other work making a new collection or something for that case.
Destruk
Destruk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down