RETROBAT Official Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Support for multiple storage seems to have been fixed in continuous-master :)

3 posters

Go down

Support for multiple storage seems to have been fixed in continuous-master :) Empty Support for multiple storage seems to have been fixed in continuous-master :)

Post by bilu 02/11/20, 12:08 am

Hi RetroBat Devs,

NTFS allows symlinks, this provides flexibility to users who need to distribute their content across multiple storage, be it "local + network share" or multiple local drives.

I have been supporting @Virtualman in his project and will be posting shortly useful information on our integration experience, e.g. with DOSBox. Ultimately this is about sharing useful knowledge with other RetroBat users and supporting the community Smile

As reference on NTFS links:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_links

In our previous tests with Retrobat stable, we could successfully do a symlink of the whole \RetroBat\roms folder , but not of any folder within "roms". I've tested today the continuous-master build and the problem no longer occurs, i.e. we can successfully link a rom folder to a different drive and stays visible on RetroBat at start or rescan. The issue still happens with continuous-stable, and I couldn't identify which commit fixed it Smile but I would like to thank you for it and see if you can identify and keep the fix in place Very Happy

How to reproduce from another drive:
cd c:\RetroBat\roms
ren ports ports_old
mklink /J ports D:\roms\ports

From  a network drive requires a 2-step approach:
c:
cd \
mklink /D net_ports \\192.168.1.4\roms\ports
cd c:\RetroBat\roms
ren ports ports_old
mklink /J ports c:\net_ports

If you could share which commit fixed this it could be helpful for future reference it there's a regression.

Thank you and keep up the good work, hope to enjoy a new release soon Smile

Take care,
Bilu
bilu
bilu

Virtualman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Support for multiple storage seems to have been fixed in continuous-master :) Empty Re: Support for multiple storage seems to have been fixed in continuous-master :)

Post by Kayl 02/11/20, 11:40 am

Hello,

Thank you for sharing informations.

Can you tell me which program you are talking about continuous-master ? RetroBat itself or only EmulationStation ?

Support for multiple storage seems to have been fixed in continuous-master :) Admin4
Kayl
Kayl
Admin

https://www.retrobat.ovh

Back to top Go down

Support for multiple storage seems to have been fixed in continuous-master :) Empty Re: Support for multiple storage seems to have been fixed in continuous-master :)

Post by bilu 02/11/20, 02:42 pm

bilu
bilu

Back to top Go down

Post by bilu 02/11/20, 06:51 pm

Do you have any estimation on when this fix will be available to users, i.e. a planned date for the next stable release?
bilu
bilu

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtualman 15/11/20, 11:53 pm

@Kayl any ETA on this fix? We really need this ... Sad
Virtualman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayl 16/11/20, 12:18 pm

Hi guys, please be patient.

You ask me a lot of questions and the more I answer you, the more you ask. Understand that if I spend my time responding to you at the rate you are asking for answers, I no longer have time to develop RetroBat. RetroBat is not my job and I also have other jobs Wink

Support for multiple storage seems to have been fixed in continuous-master :) Admin4
Kayl
Kayl
Admin

bilu likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bilu 16/11/20, 01:33 pm

Fully respect that, @kayl Smile

But this isn't a community of one, isn't there anyone else, or anywhere else we can get answers, e.g. on Discord, and maybe with fcaruso as well?

I'm not yet fully familiarized with the Retrobat community, any guidance is welcome Smile
bilu
bilu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayl 16/11/20, 02:15 pm

For info, we are 2 who code retrobat and another one who help us to test and manage the community. And I'm the one who decide when a version is ready to be released Wink

Kayl
Kayl
Admin

bilu likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bilu 16/11/20, 02:19 pm

Thanks @kayl Smile

That was my initial impression but I thought you might have been more integrated and supported within the Batocera community than what I could perceive here in the forum. Thanks for making it clear Smile
bilu
bilu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayl 16/11/20, 02:33 pm

We're not directly related to Batocera, RetroBat is an autonomous project and we've our own community. F.Caruso works in both projects and the fact we have good relationship with Batocera Team, doesn't make RetroBat part of Batocera.

Kayl
Kayl
Admin

Virtualman and bilu like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtualman 16/11/20, 03:12 pm

We are all on the same team and we all have day jobs as well Smile - expect 10K plus more users to use RetroBat or more in the next month Smile.

Thank you Kayl for insight and we want to help - we have made major milestones since we started working with RetroBat last 6 months.

Sincerely,
VMAN!
Virtualman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down