RETROBAT Official Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adding new system (stand alone emulator)

4 posters

Go down

Adding new system (stand alone emulator) Empty Adding new system (stand alone emulator)

Post by Planetdune 23/05/22, 05:44 pm

I am trying to add the "Adam" console. Now I made the "Adam" directory in the "Roms" folder and added my roms. Then installed the "Colem" emulator in the "Emulators" directory. Tested it with running the emulator fully standalone and the games work fine. Then added this to my custom system cfg file:

<system>
<name>adam</name>
<fullname>Adam</fullname>
<manufacturer>Coleco</manufacturer>
<release>1950</release>
<hardware>console</hardware>
<path>~\..\roms\adam</path>
<extension>.dsk</extension>
<command>"%HOME%\emulatorLauncher.exe" %CONTROLLERSCONFIG% -system %SYSTEM% -emulator %EMULATOR% -core %CORE% -rom %ROM%</command>
<emulators>
<emulator name="colem" command=""/>
</emulators>
<platform>adam</platform>
<theme>adam</theme>
</system>

This does not work. I think the line "<emulator name="colem" command=""/>" is at fault. How do I point it to the emulator in "/emulators/colem/colem.exe" ?
Planetdune
Planetdune

Back to top Go down

Adding new system (stand alone emulator) Empty Re: Adding new system (stand alone emulator)

Post by getupor 23/05/22, 07:51 pm

"hello"

You know that, if it was so easy, we don't have to wait so long between Retrobat updates...
Adding an emulator isn't just adding a line in es_systems.cfg.

Adding new system (stand alone emulator) Modo
getupor
getupor
Admin

Lorenzolamas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Adding new system (stand alone emulator) Empty Re: Adding new system (stand alone emulator)

Post by BishBashBoz 16/06/22, 04:07 pm

You could try to push the location of the standalone exe, any inline commands and the %ROM% if the emulator can be used to run at command line. I did that with winuae as below because I wanted to run an old config (using -f) and it seems to work fine.

<emulator name="winuae" command="D:\Emulation\RetroBat4\emulators\winuae\winuae64.exe -f %ROM%"/>
BishBashBoz
BishBashBoz

hozerino likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzolamas 16/06/22, 07:22 pm

BishBashBoz wrote:You could try to push the location of the standalone exe, any inline commands and the %ROM% if the emulator can be used to run at command line. I did that with winuae as below because I wanted to run an old config (using -f) and it seems to work fine.

<emulator name="winuae" command="D:\Emulation\RetroBat4\emulators\winuae\winuae64.exe -f %ROM%"/>

?? why ??

winuae is already added....
Lorenzolamas
Lorenzolamas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BishBashBoz 16/06/22, 07:40 pm

OP was asking how to get a new standalone emulator to open a file, I just gave an example of how I did it with winuae, they would need to change the command line to match what "Adam" requires.
BishBashBoz
BishBashBoz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzolamas 16/06/22, 08:07 pm

Why give him a bad example? you really did that with Winuae?
Lorenzolamas
Lorenzolamas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BishBashBoz 16/06/22, 08:19 pm

Bad example? Care to elaborate on why it's bad? I just came on here to lend a hand and yes it works fine for me.

Care to give a better one?
BishBashBoz
BishBashBoz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzolamas 16/06/22, 08:21 pm

Bad example because you are adding something that already exists and therefore does not need to be modified.
Lorenzolamas
Lorenzolamas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BishBashBoz 16/06/22, 08:26 pm

Planetdune was adding 'Colem', a 'Portable ColecoVision and Coleco Adam Emulator' which isn't part of retrobat....
BishBashBoz
BishBashBoz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzolamas 16/06/22, 08:30 pm

Yes but you are talking about adding winuae when it is already there and in addition you give a bad method.

As Getupor said, adding lines in es_system.cfg is not enough to make it work properly on Retrobat.

if it was so simple there would be Retrobat updates every week and not every year.
Lorenzolamas
Lorenzolamas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BishBashBoz 16/06/22, 08:52 pm

Wouldn't disagree, amazing biece of software, my go-to emulation package for Windows and I'm always looking forward for a new release whenever it's ready and I'm gratefull for whenever that may be. In the meantime, I have played around with it to create workrounds that give me a tailored emulator experience, and if theres a way (albeit far from perfect) then I might as well use it untill new emulators are added.

As I said before, I wasn't talking about adding WINUAE to this, I just copied and pasted what I did as an example, it's up to Planetdune to use this info if they want to.

I'm not quite sure what your problem is and why you are berating people for just helping......why not chip in with a better \ right way of doing it? Untill you do, this dirty fix works just fine.
BishBashBoz
BishBashBoz

gadarf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzolamas 16/06/22, 09:03 pm

I'm not berating you ^^, and I'm only telling you about your example, because it's not good, in the sense that we've done the work to add Winuae to Retrobat, there's no need to modify anything. But maybe there is a bug, and if so it would be nice to tell us so we can fix it.

I know you want to help, but that doesn't help, it adds support for us to correct the mistakes people make.

People read what you post and make the same mistakes over and over again, and then come to discord or elsewhere to complain that it doesn't work properly.

they come to complain to us, not to you...we are a VERY small team. time spent on support is time wasted developing the next update.
Lorenzolamas
Lorenzolamas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BishBashBoz 16/06/22, 09:22 pm

I can understand where you are coming from, but you seem to be missing my point that Planetdune (considering they seem like they are interested scripting) and I probably already know that winuae is already in Retrobat, and what I was doing was just citing an example......There are no bugs btw, I just needed a way to lanch the emulator and use a specific .uae config file.

Maybe I was being lazy and wrote use this line instead;

<emulator name="colem" command="*colem.exe # %ROM%"/>

Change the * to your path to the exe and place any command line options in # (remove the # and one space if you dont need it.

Try not to see every reply as more work....you have an army of people on this forum willing to help, if it works or not! and if they complain their mods are not working, that's their issue, not yours.....
BishBashBoz
BishBashBoz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzolamas 16/06/22, 09:39 pm

We will surely not be able to understand each other. Never mind. But unfortunately people don't work as you describe them. And the army you quote does not exist, look at the number of messages under my pseudonym... This army is Getupor and me...

But it is precisely because adding lines is not enough and it is quite complex to use that the simple visitor to this forum cannot help with this kind of question (and others).
And don't get me wrong, I know you're trying to help, and your intentions are good. Wink

going back to your method, it is not good because you are only doing half the job.
Adding a system is not just adding lines to the es_systeme.cfg file
the other half is the integration in Emulatorlauncher.exe, which is much more complex and not accessible to everyone.
Lorenzolamas
Lorenzolamas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BishBashBoz 17/06/22, 09:13 am

If that's the case I'll refrain from putting solutions in for mods. It's a shame as that stifles the community from trying new stuff and tweaking their setups, but I understand where you are coming from.
BishBashBoz
BishBashBoz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down