RETROBAT Official Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retrobat on CRT tv ?

3 posters

Go down

Retrobat on CRT tv ? Empty Retrobat on CRT tv ?

Post by Gorimaa 18/02/23, 04:43 am

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if anybody succeeded at using Retrobat on CRT tv , either at a first or (preferably) second monitor.

Of course the first point is cable connection, then come resolution output, then come theme and finally retrobat compatibility/ adaptability

Note : i own a desktop with a 1660 super with extra  HDMI out , actually connected to monitor by display port , and i live in a part of the world where only component Input CRT are available, no scart or svideo. Of course composite is available too but I want to avoid by any means. Still the CRT tv here are at least around 150$ Hence  I would like to be sure of what is possible before purchasing one.

For connection , here what I think (without being sure ) what could be the option:

- PC vga out (need to purchase a Radeon card like R9 380) —> corio2 downscaler to 240p component out —-> TV

Surely the simplest option but I cannot either afford of even find the Corio2 easily

Or

- PC hdmi out —-> Hdmi to component converter —> TV

Surely the best option for me ( as I already own a converter) but this is where is become complicate to set up windows/nvidia customs resolution to 240p 15khz , is super résolution would be the way to go ?

I would love to have a step by step tutorial if that even possible

Or

- PC vga out —> vga to component adapter —> TV

Again here I would need to buy a Radeon and a converter , but both would be around 50$ so it is ok

But again what would be the solution for output resolution at 240p 15khz ?

- CRT emu driver ?

But I still don’t know how it would be compatible with Retrobat use

So as you see I have a few glimpse but in fact I am Lost

If anybody already succeeded in this task , or would like to help participate to create a thread/ special tutorial for specifically Retrobat on CRT , well I would welcome with warm and ready to have deep commitment to help achieve this .

Cheers
Gorimaa
Gorimaa

Back to top Go down

Retrobat on CRT tv ? Empty Re: Retrobat on CRT tv ?

Post by getupor 18/02/23, 08:56 am

Hello

In Retrobat settings, have you try to play within these options :

Retrobat on CRT tv ? 2023-015

You got differents topic on our FB group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrobat/permalink/1324250418400441/
https://www.facebook.com/1194064934/videos/820269322005593/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrobat/permalink/938731933618960/

Maybe also on the forum, but have to search

Retrobat on CRT tv ? Modo
getupor
getupor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zokisyxx 18/02/23, 04:04 pm

This is how I have it connected.

AMD graphics card that supports CRT Emudriver.
A homemade VGA to Scart cable.
Scart to component transcoder.
Then component to the CRT TV.

My desktop resolution is always 480i, it will only switch to 240p resolutions when it needs to by the switchres feature in Retroarch or GroovyMAME. However you must have the necessary resolutions installed. Using hdmi out and converters, I'm not to sure if that will work.

Once that is done using retrobat is like using any other program but you'll have to enable the switchres feature like in the pic above.
zokisyxx
zokisyxx

Gorimaa likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorimaa 19/02/23, 02:54 am

Thank you Both for your input

- Getupor: no i didnt yet tried the retrobat option because i dont yet have a CRT, this is why i am asking here to undertsand what is possible and how to process before purchasing one. About these option :
* is it only affecting retroarch switch res ? if so ,  How about standalone non-RA emulator ?
*  or is it controling windows option ?

- Zokisyxx: That is great to know that you succeded in doing it. i still a few question :
* Is your CRT your only desktop monitor ? or do you use your CRT a second screen alongside a main LCD ?
* I suppose you are on a 480i on a basis (with tamporaly 240p when needed ) in order to not arm your CRT on windows boot ? or is it for a different reason ?
* What do you mean by " havein g the necessary resolution installed" ? Is that mean to have input all the different games resolution used by switch res inside CRT emudriver in prior ?
* Is grovvy mame easily used inside Retrobat or better use RA switch res?

Here other information i gathered on other forum:

- At this point, the best dowsncaler for availability and pricing is the GBS-Control , at around 75$ on aliexpress with component input and output. A simple Hdmi to component transcoder should be able to allow this link : desktop Nvidia hdmi 480p out ----> Hdmi to component converter (20$) ---> GBS-Control 240p downscale ---> CRT

- BUT BUT , on the GBS-C facebook group, one user told me that it is dont even necessary : CRU (custom resolution software) should allow a 240p 15khz resolution directly directly from the Nvida 1660 hdmi out, then only the HMDi to component Converter (trasncoder not sclaer) to connect to the CRT, this would be by far my best option

Thanks for helping me in the progress of knowledge, Everyone with other configuration or similar priceless input is welcomed to participate
Still,at this point my dream set up would be my desktop with both LCD ad CRT, with Newer 3D consoles (wii, gamecube, ps2, ps3, switch, pc games) playing on high res on LCD and 240p retro console (neo geo, MD, SFC, GBA) automatically playing on the CRT Smile
Gorimaa
Gorimaa

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorimaa 19/02/23, 03:32 am

EDIT : sorry I just watched the link Getupor provided , and both user succeeded too , with Nvidia customer res , and also with CRT as second (and even 3rd screen) . And even it is a scart instead of component connection , it shows the right direction, I will ask few more question to them , and if I can succeed too , will try to make a comprehensive Tuto to share with community
Gorimaa
Gorimaa

Back to top Go down

Post by zokisyxx 19/02/23, 06:03 am

Hey Gorimaa,

1. My crt is my main monitor only when i need to change settings or anything like i plug in a hdmi monitor but once I've done what needed to do i unplug that.

2. I use 480i as my main resolution so that the frontend can look decent and have a higher res look and sometimes i can browse my hdd quickly without the need for a hdmi connection. Also i give my pc a minute or two, to load as the boot sequence is still 31.5khz only when windows loads does it switch to 480i 15khz.

3. YES. For example gb gbc games use 2560x140p, gba would use 2560x160p, Mortal Kombat on MAME uses 2560x254p. The 2560 is a super resolution for the width.

4. As far as the emulators I still use RocketLauncher to load them as i went from Hyperspin to LaunchBox/BigBox and then to Retrobat.

As far as downscalers are concerned i've never used them. My setup just spits out 15khz signals natively from vga and then i use the transcoder as i dont have a scart TV.
zokisyxx
zokisyxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorimaa 20/02/23, 03:31 am

thanks again zokisyxx for taking time to reply, i will now start to make my first tries on setting, my only concern is how i could test my 240p signal before having bought the CRT Smile i dont know how my samsung consumer LCD tv will react Smile maybe more chance with my desktop 2k monitor ....
Gorimaa
Gorimaa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down