RETROBAT Official Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games

3 posters

Go down

[RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games Empty [RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games

Post by ekzoss 04/09/23, 04:32 am

Hi yall,

New to the forum, hoping you can help me get RetroBat set up for the first time.

I'm having an issue using latest mame core for retroarch when it comes to vertical games.  It doesn't rotate them.
One thing I noticed is below.. I can't explain why this is done, and something in this different usage causes the problem.

emulatorlauncher launches games very differently with latest mame core:
Code:
2023-09-03 20:19:06.347 [INFO]      [Running] D:\RetroBat\emulators\retroarch\retroarch.exe -L "D:\RetroBat\emulators\retroarch\cores\mame_libretro.dll" "mame -skip_gameinfo -rompath D:\RetroBat\bios;D:\RetroBat\roms\mame -cfg_directory D:\RetroBat\bios\mame\cfg -inipath D:\RetroBat\bios\mame\ini -hashpath D:\RetroBat\bios\mame\hash -artpath D:\RetroBat\saves\mame\artwork -snapshot_directory D:\RetroBat\screenshots D:\RetroBat\roms\mame\raidendx.zip"

Compared to any other mame libretro core which ends up being run like this by emulatorlauncher:
Code:
2023-09-03 20:01:59.101 [INFO]      [Running] D:\RetroBat\emulators\retroarch\retroarch.exe -L "D:\RetroBat\emulators\retroarch\cores\mame2016_libretro.dll" "D:\RetroBat\roms\mame\raidendx.zip"

When run like the 2nd usage, retroarch will automatically rotates all the vertical games, but not when run like the first usage, with the 'mame' command actually being the filename argument.  If I run this directly (simpler 2nd syntax, with current mame core), it all seems to work fine..
Code:
D:\RetroBat\emulators\retroarch\retroarch.exe -L "D:\RetroBat\emulators\retroarch\cores\mame_libretro.dll" "D:\RetroBat\roms\mame\raidendx.zip"

Can anyone help ?  I just updated to the latest mame (.258) and updated my roms.  I didn't really try this stuff out before that, so no idea if any of this is related to updating or if it was always this way..

Thanks!
ekzoss
ekzoss

Back to top Go down

[RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games Empty Re: [RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games

Post by tartifless 04/09/23, 11:13 am

Hello,
This will be fixed in the next version.

In the meantime you can use the rotate feature in RetroBat in advanced settings for libretro:mame to manually set the screen to vertical

[RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games Modo
tartifless
tartifless
Admin

Back to top Go down

[RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games Empty Re: [RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games

Post by ekzoss 04/09/23, 04:58 pm

Thanks. Is the next version usually like a few days, months, ??
Because I've had trouble making the change in reteoarch cfg too.. Reteobat overrides odd settings in retroarch.cfg like UI-> show advanced and other ui/menu settings (so i have to turn that on again for every game to even see the option)
And the per-game overrides dont seem to save this setting.. least I can't get to.

Thanks..
ekzoss
ekzoss

Back to top Go down

Post by ekzoss 05/09/23, 08:17 am

Decided to use fbneo instead for these, so I'm not worried about this now, thx.
ekzoss
ekzoss

Back to top Go down

Post by getupor 05/09/23, 10:53 pm

ekzoss wrote:Thanks.  Is the next version usually like a few days, months, ??  
Because I've had trouble making the change in reteoarch cfg too..  Reteobat overrides odd settings in retroarch.cfg like UI-> show advanced and other ui/menu settings (so i have to turn that on again for every game to even see the option)
And the per-game overrides dont seem to save this setting.. least I can't get to.

Thanks..

Hello

2 links that can help you to understand how Retrobat works :
https://retrobat.forumgaming.fr/t135-faq-retrobat-wip#2754

And

https://wiki.retrobat.org/controllers/specific_mapping
getupor
getupor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ekzoss 06/09/23, 12:36 am

I dont think it explains why retrobat overrides settings in retroarch.cfg that it does not control... namely the UI settings have been really inconvenient lately.... if retrobat doesnt have an option to set them, then please leave the settings as they were... even the help in retrobat says thats how it *should* work.
ekzoss
ekzoss

Back to top Go down

Post by getupor 06/09/23, 06:36 am

Retrobat have the option to set them, and it's why the setting is overwritten... Read Tartifless comment.

getupor
getupor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tartifless 06/09/23, 07:08 am

ekzoss wrote:I dont think it explains why retrobat overrides settings in retroarch.cfg that it does not control... namely the UI settings have been really inconvenient lately.... if retrobat doesnt have an option to set them, then please leave the settings as they were...  even the help in retrobat says thats how it *should* work.

What UI settings are you referring to ?
tartifless
tartifless
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ekzoss 06/09/23, 04:02 pm

dumb stuff like "menu item visibility" and "show advanced options".. but really annoying to have to reconfigure those evey game launch because reteobat resets them to off...
ekzoss
ekzoss

Back to top Go down

Post by tartifless 06/09/23, 04:04 pm

Can you be more precise ? What emulator ? Why do you need to show advanced options from emulator when the reason for using Retrobat is to not do stuff directly in emulators ?

tartifless
tartifless
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by getupor 06/09/23, 04:13 pm

From my part, the settings I use remains unchanged... But maybe because I change them from Retrobat menu directly...

getupor
getupor
Admin

Lorenzolamas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ekzoss 07/09/23, 04:26 am

So one specific example is the setting:
./RetroBat/emulators/retroarch/retroarch.cfg
menu_show_advanced_settings = "false"

If I set that to "true" (either by modifying retroarch.cfg or by setting in the gui), then the first time RetroBat/emulatorLauncher runs a retroarch game, it will reset it to "false".

I haven't seen any option in RetroBat that says "show advanced menus in emulators" or anything that might be overwriting this. But if there is one, please share where it is.

Still looking through emulatorLauncher code.. I do agree that the intent seems to be to copy existing retroarch.cfg and only modify some parameters.. but that's just not what I see happening in practice. Maybe someone more familiar with the code can help.
ekzoss
ekzoss

Back to top Go down

Post by getupor 07/09/23, 06:33 am

That's we try to make you understand.
Settings have to be done in Retrobat (I confirm you that the setting you search for exist in). Retrobat inject then the information that he got each time he start a game.
If you edit the cfg or use Retroarch, the setting will remain... until you start a game with RetroBat.
(Screen are in french for the moment, but you should find out)

[RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games Fb_img11

[RESOLVED] Help with libretro mame core and vertical games Fb_img12
getupor
getupor
Admin

Lorenzolamas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ekzoss 07/09/23, 09:06 pm

Ah k thank you for being patient, I hadn't seen that option.
ekzoss
ekzoss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down