RETROBAT Official Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroBat gamepad not working after quitting YuzuEA

4 posters

Go down

RetroBat gamepad not working after quitting YuzuEA Empty RetroBat gamepad not working after quitting YuzuEA

Post by axelko 12/11/23, 10:32 am

Hi all!

I'm quite new at RetroBat and modern platforms emulation, and I'm having some difficulties running Yuzu from Retrobat. Let me explain my problem.

I've correctly set up Yuzu Early Access in Retrobat with all the requirements, and games work properly. The problem is that when I quit Yuzu and I go back to RetroBat, the gamepad stops working completely in RetroBat. It's like it keeps being recognized but it doesn't work at all, and I need to quit RetroBat / unplug & replug the USB receiver / relaunch RetroBat to make it work back again.

I'm using some cheap chinese USB gamepads, so no Xinput support whatsoever is available. The gamepad works fine after quitting other emulators (including Dolphin). I've switched off the gamepad auto-configuration for both Dolphin and YuzuEA emulators in RetroBat so the configuration doesn't get messed up, and games work fine for both.

Some other useful information:
  • RetroBat 5.3
  • Yuzu Early Access 3970 (from pineappleEA repo)
  • Windows 10
  • chinese TGZ Dinput USB gamepads.

I've checked many options in both RetroBat and YuzuEA with no luck. Any clues as to what I should look at?

I've also tried this fix down here with no luck: https://wiki.retrobat.org/tutorials/know-issues-and-fixes#yuzu-controller-configuration-failing

Thanks in advance!

Best regards.

Last edited by axelko on 13/11/23, 12:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
axelko
axelko

Back to top Go down

RetroBat gamepad not working after quitting YuzuEA Empty Re: RetroBat gamepad not working after quitting YuzuEA

Post by axelko 12/11/23, 12:38 pm

Hi again!

I've just updated Yuzu Early Access to v3972 released today, and it's working now! It seems it was a bug in the v3970 version.

I leave the information here in case it's useful to anyone in the future.

Thanks for reading!

Best regards.
axelko
axelko

getupor likes this post

Back to top Go down

RetroBat gamepad not working after quitting YuzuEA Empty Re: RetroBat gamepad not working after quitting YuzuEA

Post by axelko 13/11/23, 12:38 pm

Sorry, I'm reopening this one because it's unfortunately still happening.

What I've discovered is that if I'm in Yuzu for just a couple of minutes, I can go back to RetroBat and the controller still works. But if I play a game for a while, when I go back to RetroBat, the controller no longer works. It still appears as detected in RetroBat, but it doesn't respond to any button. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it still doesn't work. I have to quit RetroBat, unplug/replug the gamepad, and re-enter Retrobat for it to work again.

Any ideas?
axelko
axelko

Back to top Go down

Post by getupor 13/11/23, 01:20 pm

Hello
Have you try, using BatGui at the root of your RetroBat folder, to change the SDL driver?
https://wiki.retrobat.org/advanced-features/batgui

RetroBat gamepad not working after quitting YuzuEA Modo
getupor
getupor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by markbabu 14/11/23, 03:36 pm

I have the same issue with many emulators. Now I'm trying to set them with auto controller configuration "on" and the driver set at "auto (sdl)" and try if it works. I have an 8bitdo SF and SN bluetooth gamepad.
markbabu
markbabu

Back to top Go down

Post by tartifless 14/11/23, 03:47 pm

Hello guys,

We've had also some people with these issues that were able to trace it back to their bluetooth dongle, they noticed disconnections in the windows journal event.

Might be worth to look at this also ==> if connection is lost becaue of micro-cuts, it might be a reason why RetroBat looses the controllerWatch State.

tartifless
tartifless
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tartifless 14/11/23, 03:49 pm

Also do not go cheap on controllers ==> official xbox, 8bitdo and sony playstation controllers are known to be more stable.

And finally, look in the windows settings at the power options ==> there might be settings that avoid unpowering some peripherals to save energy that can be activated.

tartifless
tartifless
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by axelko 14/11/23, 03:55 pm

Definitely I don't have the best gamepads in the market, as they're chinese cheap ones Rolling Eyes

I'm considering buying better ones, especially considering something with Xinput support (but that's a different topic). But for now, I have what I have.

Those are wireless with a propietary dongle, so that could be the issue. I'll check the Windows events for disconnections, and also power options. Thanks all!
axelko
axelko

Back to top Go down

Post by axelko 15/11/23, 03:40 pm

getupor wrote:Have you try, using BatGui at the root of your RetroBat folder, to change the SDL driver?
Tried several SDL versions with no luck.

markbabu wrote:I have the same issue with many emulators. Now I'm trying to set them with auto controller configuration "on" and the driver set at "auto (sdl)" and try if it works. I have an 8bitdo SF and SN bluetooth gamepad.
There is no "auto SDL" option in my installation. I've tried the auto controller configuration option inside RetroBat but then the gamepad doesn't work at all in either Dolphin or Yuzu.

tartifless wrote:We've had also some people with these issues that were able to trace it back to their bluetooth dongle, they noticed disconnections in the windows journal event.
Tried that with a tool called USBLogView. The USB dongle is not suffering any disconnection, and actually, when the issue happens and I unplug the dongle from the USB, RetroBat detects that disconnection. And when I reconnect it back, RetroBat detects it, but it's still not working. I need to quit from RetroBat and relaunch it in order to have the gamepad working again.

tartifless wrote:And finally, look in the windows settings at the power options ==> there might be settings that avoid unpowering some peripherals to save energy that can be activated.
Checked that too. There were some power saving options related to peripherals that I've disabled, but the issue is still happening.

Anyway, thanks all for all the tips and suggestions! I think it's time to try it with a different -better quality- gamepads. I'll keep you posted.

Best!
axelko
axelko

getupor likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by markbabu 15/11/23, 09:12 pm

tartifless wrote:Also do not go cheap on controllers ==> official xbox, 8bitdo and sony playstation controllers are known to be more stable.

And finally, look in the windows settings at the power options ==> there might be settings that avoid unpowering some peripherals to save energy that can be activated.

I've done some tests and finllyI can say that the problem isn't about cheap controllers (mine is an 8bitdo) and even about bluetooth power saving settings.

I've noticed the this prolem will appear when u exit from a non retroarch or libretroemulator (like pcsx2 or dolphin).

So finally my bst advice is to set the retroarch and libretros emus with auto config controllers and controller type auto. With proprietary emulators like pcsx2,dolphin etc is better to set auto config controllers on off and configure the controller mapping inside the emulator. hope this helps
markbabu
markbabu

Back to top Go down

Post by tartifless 15/11/23, 11:27 pm

The autoconfiguration has absolutely no link with the quitting emulators with hotkey+start ...

tartifless
tartifless
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by axelko 16/11/23, 05:11 pm

I've done some extra testing. It's something about the Select+Start shortcut that is being captured from RetroBat. I tested it launching a game, then opening Chrome, and when I press Select+Start, it closes Chrome. It's like an ALT+F4 shortcut being sent by RetroBat to the active app. The weird thing is that, if I press ALT+F4 while in Yuzu, the emulator asks for a confirmation before closing. But when I press Select+Start in the controller, Yuzu quits inmediately, so RetroBat is doing something more aggresive than ALT+F4.

More info from my tests:

• It only happens when using a standalone emulator (Dolphin Standalone / Yuzu).
  • The problem is not related to the time playing the game. It happens even if you are in the emulator for 5 seconds.
  • It happens randomly about 50% of the times.
  • When this happens, it's enough to close and reopen RetroBat. There is no need to do anything with the USB.
  • If I close the emulator using ALT+F4, the issue never happens!

So it's something about RetroBat capturing that specific shortcut while in a standadole emulator.

I've tried RetroBat 6 Beta 2, and it's still happening. I've also tried EmulationStation DE directly with YuzuEA, configuring the same shortcut in Yuzu to quit the emulator, and it doesn't happen. It seems to be something in RetroBat related to capturing shortcuts while in other apps. I'd say it's a bug IMHO.

Best!
axelko
axelko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down